Saturday, March 15, 2014

SOLC 2014 Day Fifteen: How may I help you?

I needed inspiration for today's Slice, so I uncharacteristically went to the SOLC site first before writing this morning.  Each day, our challenge team is so kind to provide nuggets of ideas in the form of quotes or links to other blogs.  Today's offering was a post from "Just Write, Melanie"; head over there if you'd like to read it, too. 

Supporting versus starring role--what do you feel most comfortable doing?  For me, I am all about the support.  When considering changing careers this last time, I took a hard look at when I was happiest in my previous jobs--and it was when I was in a position to support others.  Resource teacher, NICU unit assistant, ARD facilitator...they were all jobs that helped others do their work more efficiently.  

As a librarian, I get to support the curriculum for the entire school and the reading lives of the learning community.  Promoting the library program is an important part of the job, but in my mind, it comes in second.  I would like to think that if I'm an effective support person, word-of-mouth advertising is the best promotion I could ask for.

Save the spotlight and the headlines for the library; I'm content to be mentioned in the playbill. 


Photo from https://www.stopfalling.com/Book-Lady-Pin-p-16432.html

2 comments:

  1. What a great last line. I think the library is part of the central nervous system of school learning...so if it is a supporting role...it is a mighty important one. I am always surprised at the knowledge of librarians...and if they don't know it...they will research and find the answer. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie! I do like being at the center of the school, but only because I like being there to help. I am really enjoying my first year as a librarian; I feel like I get to use everything I've learned from all my previous jobs.

      Delete