Thursday, March 21, 2013

SOLC 2013 Day 21: The books are calling...

The book piles are calling, taunting me.  

How dare you call yourself a book lover, teacher, librarian-wanna-be?  There is DUST on this pile!  Deal with us, already!

C'mon, finish R.J. Palacio's Wonder-- everybody but you has read this, what's taking you so long!  What about that just-for-fun read next to your bed, Pale Demon by Kim Harrison?  You like your witches and elves and pixies and magic!  And hey, didn't you say you were going to start over on the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, after you stopped halfway through book five a few years back? 

Oh, and don't even get us started on your self-help pile.  The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz has been languishing by your bedside, with a dozen pages read, for over a year.  Geneen Roth's Women Food and God--how long has that been sitting by the living room chair?  And that organize now! by Jennifer Ford Berry has us laughing nonstop as it hides under a pile of old greeting cards on the corner of your desk.  Remember your Lenten resolution to eat better?  Don't you think you should at least look at your copies of The Belly Fat Cure by Jorge Cruise, or The South Beach Diet:  Good Fats Good Carbs Guide by Arthur Agatston?  Um, they just might have some useful info...just sayin'.

Let's not forget your professional reading.  You didn't buy When Readers Struggle:  Teaching that Works by Fountas and Pinnell just to scan through it during training.  What about those great Jeff Anderson books on writing, Mechanically Inclined and 10 Things Every Writer Needs to Know; bet they'd be coming in handy during this month in which you're spending all this time blogging...

                                                                                                  ...instead of reading!

My reply to my book piles:

Nanny nanny boo boo!  I just finished reading Wonder, so THERE!!!  And now on to that "women and food" book....where did I leave it....okay, where are the reading glasses...


10 comments:

  1. This post made me laugh! I should let my book piles talk. And now I want to check out one of your titles organize now! I'm a sap for organizational books. I once told a college professor that I believed all my problems in life could be solved if I could just find the right book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I'm not the only one searching for the "cures" in books! Now you've got me wondering what people would think of me, looking at my shelves! Should post a pic sometime, and get some input on that...

      Delete
  2. I can just imagine what my books might be saying to me. The piles are toppling over! :) This post is very creative. Good luck on all that reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, glad to know my addiction is a shared one. I finally figured out that I'm one of those that goes into a "book coma" when I find a good book--can't afford to do that with work and home obligations, so in the meantime, books go unread. I'll have to set some summer reading goals, for sure.

      Delete
  3. The whole time I was reading I was thinking about what my book piles might say to me. Thanks for the imaginative post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking mine said what my husband would like to say, but is kind enough not to... :-)

      Delete
  4. Very funny! I have a pile staring at me, too (plus a textbook for a class I am taking...). I recently finished Wonder, too. I wish I had a time built into my work schedule that was just for reading- and that's it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's piles in the plural in our house...I used to have DEAR time in my classroom last year, when EVERYONE read, a la Donalyn Miller's suggestions (check out The Book Whisperer by her--AWESOME!). I actually finished a book or two back then. Unfortunately, my schedule this year doesn't allow for it. :-( So I have to be content with sharing read-alouds.

      Delete
  5. Books, reading, hope you get some time to enjoy reading. Your wittiness made me laugh. Great craft in making the books talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Planning on it today, MaryHelen! Thanks for the positive comment, and for stopping by this post.

      Delete