Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Tuesday Slice: Crafting a vision

Monday was my first day on the work calendar, but it was spent in tech training for the new iPads I have waiting in the library.  

My Facebook post yesterday echoed how I felt about these past three months (to the tune of a pop song):  This summer has been all about that tech, 'bout that tech, no paper.

So today is my first day back among the books.  Only with lots more technology.

After lugging in the bags of stuff from my hallway at home (most of which are books, naturally), I know I will spend time just sitting at my circulation desk, imagining what the library will look like this year.  I think the interactive screen--all 70 inches of it--is currently set up in my book nook.  But after hearing other librarians at the training talk about ways it can be used, is that the best place for it?  It might look better over in the learning area, but there is already a Promethean board hanging on that wall...will it become obsolete with this new tech, and if so, what do we do with it?  The iPads have been delivered, too.  That's more orientation for the students...time to rework the beginning of school year lesson.  Will the expected hubbub over the new devices eclipse everything else in the library?  Will I be okay with that?

Harking back to the words of The Tech Rabbi at iPadpalooza, I reaffirm my purpose in the library.  Promoting print and digital literacy, the enjoyment of reading, and love of lifelong learning is still paramount in this space.  All the questions I have will be answered in due time, I know.  

Coffee in hand, vision a bit more clear, I wade into the 2015-2016 school year.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are going to have a very interesting year full of change but purpose statement will guide you to success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting, to be sure! And yes, I may have that purpose statement printed up half a dozen times to post for myself as a reminder!

      Delete
  2. Squee!!! I am so so excited for the kids, for you! Seriously, let me know how I can help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, if you know of good *short* lessons for iPad handling or "Apple 101" type info, that would be great. I feel like I need to do some kind of orientation on the devices, but don't want to eat up a lot of time with it.

      Delete
  3. Wow - technology certainly brings challenges along with excitement, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! We've already changed up the location of the interactive screen to a more "public" place....right in front of the Promethean, ha!

      Delete