Monday, August 24, 2015

It's Monday! What are you reading?




(Visit www.teachmentortexts.com for more info about It's Monday! What Are You Reading?)

I am embarrassed to admit that I did not complete a single book this past week!  Instead, I've been talking a lot about books with my colleagues as they've returned to our campus to prepare for the coming school year.  

Here are some books we've talked about:

Gaston, by Kelly DiPucchio and illustrated by Christian Robinson. A puppy who feels a bit out-of-place among his brothers and sisters finds out what family really means.

The Scraps Book:  Notes from a Colorful Life by Lois Ehlert. This autobiography of an artist's life is full of familiar colors and shapes for fans of Ehlert.  I was quick to point this book out to our new art teacher!   

On the professional side, the hot teacher materials of the moment are Number Sense Routines:  Building Numerical Literacy Every Day in Grades K-3 by Jessica F. Shumway and Number Talks:  Helping Children Build Mental Math and Computation Strategies, Grades K-5 by Sherry Parrish.  I've got teachers on a waiting list while I catalog them into the system!

Our students arrive tomorrow!  Here's wishing everyone a great school year.

5 comments:

  1. Talking about books is a good thing! It looks like you had some good ones to talk about with your colleagues. Have a great first day with students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talking about books is always fun. I can't wait to get back next week and begin conversations with my colleagues. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading Gaston - such a lovely picturebook. I think this was shortlisted for the CYBILS this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Gaston. I do believe we have both of those math books in our professional collection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Gaston AND Scraps. Scraps was one of my favorite nonfiction titles of 2014!

    ReplyDelete