Monday, August 17, 2015

It's Monday! What are you reading?



Back to work as an elementary school librarian ironically means less time to read, or at least it does for me.  Of course, once the students return, I'm usually reading all day long with them in the library! 

My one book for this week:
Saving Lucas Biggs by Marisa de los Santos and David Teague is a 2015-2016 Texas Bluebonnet Award nominee, and the last of the twenty nominees for me to read.  

I was still reeling from the post-Katrina harsh reality portrayed in Zane and the Hurricane when I started this book; when it opened with the depiction of the miserable treatment of coal miners by the mining companies in the 1930's, I thought I was in for another heartbreaking story.  And I was...until the element of time travel was introduced.  Modern-day Margaret O'Malley is determined to do whatever she can to help her father, who has been wrongfully arrested.  His fate has been determined by a Judge Lucas Biggs, whose view on life became twisted in that coal mining town long ago.  Somehow, Margaret must save Biggs from becoming a coldhearted corporate pawn in order to save her father.  There were parts in this book that were still a heartbreaking read, and should spawn interesting discussions about life in the early 20th century. 

******
Next on my list:

Finishing up Are You Fully Charged?: The Three Keys to Energizing Your Work and Life by Tom Rath
A Plague of Bogles by Catherine Jinks

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE Saving Lucas Biggs!! The writing is so gorgeous in parts that I just wanted to stop to share a line or two with whoever was nearby! A clever and rich story, for sure! I also loved Zane, but Rodman Philbrick always hooks me with his natural and relatable characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really good book, even with its brutal bits. Love Margaret's fierceness and Charlie's loyalty.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an interesting story. I recently read Connect the Stars by the same author pair and enjoyed it. Here is my reading week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Added that one to my shopping list as well!

      Delete
  3. Maybe you need a happy book next! There's a new Charlie Joe Jackson book out soon, Planet Girl. Really liked that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do need a happy book next....I'm sure the picture books I'll be sharing with my younger grades will be just the ticket!

      Delete
  4. Saving Lucas Biggs sounds like a must read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interesting mix of sci fi and historical fiction. As Nicole pointed out, beautiful writing, strong characters, and complicated relationships.

      Delete
  5. Have you read Ninth Ward yet? I heard that it also explores the Katrina tragedy. I've seen this book around, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read it, Myra, but after reading the description, it would be a great pairing with Zane and the Hurricane. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete