Monday, May 24, 2021

It's Monday! What are you reading?

Normally, the last Monday of school would be my summer reading pile post...but I am a week behind.  I'm going to blame it on COVID book quarantine, as many of the Bluebonnet nominee books I will be reading this summer are sitting in bins in our Story Castle, waiting out their seven day isolation before being checked in.  Soooo...Memorial Day will have to be my summer reading pile post.  

Since I finished The Arctic Fury last week, I picked up Matthew McConaughey's Greenlights to begin reading...and found a half-dozen half-read books underneath that one, so I picked up one of those instead.  I think that will be one of my reading goals this summer--to finish six half-read books.

We talked about the why, how many, what, where, with whom, and when of summer reading with students this past month:
Why--to beat the summer slide.  Students who read during the summer tend to maintain (or grow!) their reading levels.
How many--five to beat the summer slide, ten to grow!
What--any books we want to!  All reading counts.
Where--in bed, on the couch, in the car/airplane/bus, at the beach/pool, in the backyard...
With whom--family, friends, pets...and by ourselves.
When--morning, noon, night...whatever feels right!

So here's my plan:
Why--to learn and to escape.
How many--at least two professional books, two personal growth books, two books just for fun, and fifteen kidlit books.
What--already listed above, and already purchased!
Where--couch, bed, patio, cabin in the woods, pool.
With whom--by myself, with my son when he comes to visit, booktalking with friends.
When--all day long, when I feel like it!  Otherwise, morning and night.

Tune in next Monday to see my summer reading pile!  It's Monday; have you made your summer reading plans yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment