Monday, May 10, 2021

It's Monday! What are you reading?

I pulled another book from my Candlewick prize pile for a new-to-me book: Dot. Goes Fishing, based on the Dot character created by Randi Zuckerberg.
I wasn't familiar with the "Dot." series on hulu, so I looked it up.  If my children were still little, I think we'd be watching this show about curiosity, problem solving, and exploration and how technology can be used in those pursuits.

As for the book--I was first impressed by the heft of it!  The pages are glossy, the text in large print and spaced for beginning readers, with brightly colored illustrations on every page.  Dot talks to the reader at the end; I'm guessing she does the same in the video episodes.

Dot's dad often goes fishing, but never brings any fish home.  Dot is going fishing with her father for the first time, and she and her mother decide to buy dad a digital tracking device to help find the fish.  They do find a big one...but was that really a problem to begin with? 

I've already added this book to my shopping list for the fall, in the hopes that some of my students will be familiar with the show and will make a connection with the book.  It's Monday, and I read a book based on a TV series.  Do you ever read books that are inspired by TV or movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment