Monday, January 11, 2021

It's Monday! What are you reading?

We are just about finished with putting away Christmas decorations, so I picked up one of the books Santa left for us and read it yesterday.

Share Some Kindness, Bring Some Light by Apryl Stott is a straightforward book about the impact of meaningful, kind acts.  Bear is sad about the other forest animals being afraid of him.  Coco, his friend, suggests they make cookies and lanterns for the animals, but their gestures are rebuffed--until bear saves a young deer in need.  Share Some Kindness, Bring Some Light is one of those stories that can be read and explored on many levels; I suggest using it to spur discussions about kindness and friendship in elementary and middle grades.  You can hear the author/illustrator read her story by clicking here!

I am co-chair of the Texas Library Association's Teacher Day @TLA committee, and we are fortunate to have Varian Johnson speak at our event this year!  Of course, I had to read The Parker Inheritance before seeing him this April.  Luckily we had it on the shelf in our Anderson Mill school library.
I am enjoying Johnson's writing!  I am just starting this fictional mystery novel, but I can already tell that it's going to weave in some historical perspective on racial tension in the South. The main character and her sidekick, Candice and Brandon, are 'book nerds', so I'm already liking them a lot--especially since they like the same books I do!

It's Monday, and I'm enjoying this "bad weather day" at home by reading great books on my couch. What are you reading on this cold day as we watch our Austin snow melt away?

No comments:

Post a Comment