Monday, January 4, 2021

It's Monday! What are you reading?

We are back from Winter Break!  Teachers are, anyway, so I thought I'd post about the first book I read in 2021.  Santa brought us a copy of the bestselling The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse by Charlie Mackesy.


This book reminds me of A.A. Milne's When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six from the Winnie-the-Pooh series, with its simple and direct dialogue that speaks to children on one level, adults on another.  The artwork is different, too--sometimes spare, sometimes rich with detail, powerfully illustrating the lessons of friendship and hardship and simple joys.  In a world that seems so complicated these days, I can see why this book is a bestseller, pulling us in to pause and think about what is truly important that even pandemic and politics can't take away.

Because I found it increasingly difficult to read last year, I've joined a book challenge with a friend on Facebook to get me motivated.  There are categories to cover, and I'm going to try and meet them by pulling from my to-read pile at home.  I did have to purchase one for the list, however--a book published the year you were born.  I chose S is for Space by Ray Bradbury because I love science fiction stories.  I had to buy a used copy, because it was published in 1966!  (And now you know how old I am!)

It's Monday, and I read a bestseller this past week!  Did you get any new books to read over Winter Break?  What are your reading goals this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment