Monday, May 8, 2023

It's Monday! What are you reading?

 Last night, I read my copy of Indelible Ann: The Larger-Than-Life Story of Governor Ann Richards by Meghan P. Browne, illustrated by Carlynn Whitt.
I must confess that I was not paying much attention to politics when Richards was running for governor; I was in my third year of teaching in a resource setting and planning a wedding the year she was elected.  I do remember the mudslinging ads, though, and admired her high-road campaigning.  

When I met the author of this book at the TLA "Speed-Dating the Bluebonnets" event last month, I told her that this was the book I didn't know we were missing until she wrote it.  She said the same thing, surprised that there hadn't been a children's book published about Richards.  Richards is one of the only two women ever to be elected to the office of Texas Governor, and diversified the dome before diversity was even a buzzword.

It's Monday, and I'm catching up on Texas history with a Bluebonnet Award Nominee biography.  Have you read an informational picture book lately?  Were you surprised by the content?

No comments:

Post a Comment