Monday, May 15, 2023

It's Monday! What are you reading?

 I have to confess that most of my reading this past week has been swimsuit catalogs and vacation rental information.  My modus operandi is thinking ahead, and ahead is summer break!  I am still working my way through my grown-up novel and Gilbert's Big Magic; morning reading is my most consistent practice.

When I surveyed my students to see if they identified as readers, I reminded them that they are, at the very least, environmental readers.  I think we adults sometimes forget just how much reading we do outside of a book on a daily basis.  Here's the list I've come up with:
  • Emails
  • Ads
  • Social media posts
  • The clock
  • The calendar
  • Planners
  • To-do lists
  • Decorative print (on my coffee mug)
  • Our car dashboard
  • Traffic signs
  • Billboards
  • Stereo tuner
  • More emails
  • Computer programs (i.e. our inventory system)
  • Reports
  • Directions
  • Labels
  • Receipts
  • Greeting cards
  • Anything on our phones--the weather, notifications, app names...
I will have read most of this list before 10a this morning.  When you stop to think about what you read in a day, do you consider environmental print?

No comments:

Post a Comment