Monday, January 3, 2022

It's Monday! What are you reading?

 Welcome back, Dillo ReadersIf you are a student reading this, you still have today and tomorrow off for Winter Break--I hope you spend some of that time reading.

I brought two kidlit books home for the holidays, and I am just about finished with one of them:
Winterhouse, the first of a magical mystery trilogy by Ben Guterson, caught my eye on the library shelf because 1)  the title fit the season! and 2)  the cover was wonderfully made with cut-outs for the windows of the house.  I was almost tempted to peel off the clear dust jacket so I could fully look at the second layer of the cover...but I didn't.

The story opens with a peek into Elizabeth Somers' unhappy circumstances, living with an aunt and uncle who begrudgingly took her in after her parents' death when she was young.  (Yes, very Potter-esque!)  The tale very quickly moves to her trip to Winterhouse, a mystery in itself as the trip is paid for by an anonymous donor.  Winterhouse is a grand but mysterious hotel, with puzzles around every corner, nefarious hotel guests, and an owner who seems to be the epitome of kindness and hospitality...but is he?

Elizabeth is a reader, and I love the references to real contemporary and classic children's books in this story.  I look forward to recommending this book to my students in the library, and hope they enjoy the puzzles, the mystery, and add the mentioned titles to their reading list.

It's Monday, and I'm almost finished with a fun mystery novel!  What did you read over Winter Break?  

No comments:

Post a Comment