Monday, August 9, 2021

It's Monday! What are you reading?

I may be back at work, but I'm holding on to these last few weeks before students arrive by reading another YA-to-Adult book, recommended by another librarian:

I needed a feel-good escape book after reading The Pull of the Stars (which was really good, but emotionally draining, especially since it's set in an historical pandemic, and we're in the middle of one ourselves).  The House in the Cerulean Sea gives me vibes reminiscent of Harry Potter (magical beings), "X-Men" (magical beings are feared by non-magical beings) and A Man Called Ove (quirky, lonely man main character).  It's just what I needed to escape the chaotic days of preparing for the school year.

Speaking of preparing for the school year...this is now my morning reading:
I have another of Boogren's earlier books, Take Time for You, but found the activities a bit daunting to keep up with.  180 Days of Self-Care for Busy Educators seems much more manageable, with daily or weekly suggestions organized by the quarters of the school year so it can be started at any time.  I'm already loving the first week's suggestion of incorporating music into the day and creating different playlists for different activities (i.e. morning energy, workouts, calming, sentimental reminiscing).

I'll be diving back into my kidlit pile next week; for now, it's all about soothing night reading and self-care mornings!

It's Monday; what are you reading to escape and/or plan these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment