Monday, August 23, 2021

It's Monday! What are you reading?

I finally sat down to finish Scary Stories for Young Foxes, a Bluebonnet Award nominee and first in a series by Christian McKay Heidicker (the second one comes out next week):
I surprised myself by reading this book all the way through, because animal stories are not my preferred genre; I get too sad when animals get hurt, and this book had many scenes that tugged on my heartstrings.  I'm glad I did finish, though, because I was satisfied by the ending.  I think Scary Stories for Young Foxes will appeal to my animal loving students as well as those who like adventures through adversity, and I'm going to recommend it to my upper grade teachers as a read-aloud.

I'm moving on to another Bluebonnet nominee, Ways to Make Sunshine by RenĂ©e Watson.  This realistic fiction book is a bit shorter, focusing on family dynamics and changes that our school-aged scholars will certainly relate to:  dealing with older siblings, moving to a new house, problems at school.  Ryan, the main character, handles it all with kindness and a positive attitude.

It's Monday, and I'm working my way through this year's Bluebonnet Award Nominees!  What are you reading now, and what will you be reading next?

No comments:

Post a Comment