Monday, August 30, 2021

It's Monday! What are you reading?

I switched over to a middle grade book that's been on my to-read pile for the past few months:  The Other Half of Happy, by Rebecca Balcárcel.
Quijana is a seventh grader whose family is refocusing on their Guatemalan roots to reconnect with family, at a time when all she wants is the familiarity at home to soothe her from the uncertainties of middle school.  She wants to fit in, not stand out!  This is a universal theme that crosses cultures, the adolescent need to form relationships outside of family and forge one's independent identity at the same time.  I hope to learn more about Guatemalan culture through this award-winning book.

I am still working through my bedtime reading of Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia, and my morning personal growth books 180 Days of Self-Care for Busy Educators and Think Like a Monk.  My goal is to pick up a professional book to start this week, perhaps reading it during my lunch break.

It's Monday, and I juggle different kinds of reading by assigning times of the day for each.  Do you read more than one book at a time?  How do you organize your reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment