Monday, October 8, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading?

Every time we get a box of new books for our library, it feels like Christmas!  I start shopping for books months ahead of the actual purchase (I've already started my Fall 2019 list!), and I tend to put in big orders, so I often forget what's coming in until it arrives.

Such was the case this past week.  While putting the new books on display, I came across Aaron Becker's A Stone for Sascha.

I was already in love with Becker's work from his Journey trilogy of wordless books, which is why, I'm sure, I ordered this new one.  A Stone for Sascha opens with an emotional bang as we watch a family bury a beloved pet.  It quickly cuts to a beach where the family is vacationing.  As the young girl grieves her loss by tossing stones in the ocean, we are whisked through time, back to the dinosaurs and asteroids and catastrophic earth events.  Large stones become monoliths, then carved totems, breaking down as time marches on.  

Becker reminds us--and the girl--that there are cycles to life, of building up and breaking down.  This book is intended for elementary students, but is so epic that all ages can bring their perspective to this story.  A Stone for Sascha is a beautiful gift to those who are grieving, going through tough transitions, or just need to be reminded of the grandeur of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment