Monday, March 20, 2023

It's Monday! What are you reading?

It was so nice to be able to read whenever and wherever I wanted to this past week!  I finished Zane and the Hurricane, one of our book club books.  If you haven't read this fictional account of Hurricane Katrina, I highly recommend it--though be ready to have your heart wrung out a time or two.  There are some great notes at the end with factual information about the storm, as well as the socioeconomic inequities that became glaringly obvious in the disaster response. 

I'm working my way through Atomic Habits by James Clear.  My goal is to read four to five chapters a week.  I really like the idea of habit stacking, since I already have some good routines in place.  I need to incorporate more good habits at work to increase my productivity in the behind-the-scenes library tasks that are filling up my office right now!

I totally ignored my planned "fun" read for this month, and instead picked one off the top of my TBR (to-be-read) pile--When Women Were Dragons, by Kelly Barnhill,  recommended for young adults and older.
I was expecting a full-on fantasy like The Girl Who Drank the Moon, another Barnhill book that is a favorite of mine.  Instead, this story offers a magical response to real-life oppressive patriarchy.  I would offer this as a companion read to The Change by Kirsten Miller, another magical book about women coming into their power.  Both are apropos for the month dedicated to celebrating the accomplishments of women, if only to help light the fire to fight for the changes that still need to happen in obtaining equal rights.

It's Monday, and I accomplished kidlit, self-improvement, and just-for-fun reading this spring break.  What did you read while we were away from school?

No comments:

Post a Comment