Monday, January 2, 2023

It's Monday! What are you reading?

Teachers are back to work today--scholars, you're up next, on Wednesday!  So what did you read over Winter Break?  I read one novel, started another, and read a dear-to-me picture book that combines my love of Christmas and owls.

First, the novel I finished--a grownup book called The Woman in the Library, by Sulari Gentill.  
Four strangers meet in a Boston public library, and are forever connected by a murder that occurs while they are sitting in the reading room together.  This is a mystery that reads like it's being written chapter by chapter before our eyes, critiqued in letters from a fan of the author who  is also an aspiring writer. The content of the end-of-chapter letters becomes more and more macabre as the story being told twists and turns. I was surprised by the ending!

The novel I started is one from our school library shelves:
Fortuna is called to the home of the Baldwin sisters to help them fix a problem:  they've turned a bird into a boy (which is against the rules), and now he doesn't want to turn back.  Fortuna's task: talk the boy into becoming a bird again.  This is easier said than done, as nefarious forces are at play, and Martin is stubbornly stuck in his desire to remain human.  I love books with magic, and this story has such a different take on the theme.

The picture book that made me smile this past week:  the story of the saw-whet owl that was trapped in the Christmas tree destined for Rockefeller Center.

We are back from Winter Break this week!  I hope you had fun reading at home and away.  Have you made your 2023 reading plans?  I have, and I'll share them next week.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment