Monday, September 27, 2021

It's Monday! What are you reading?

I finally picked up The Other Half of Happy by Rebecca Balcárcel again and continued reading several chapters this time.  I've had the book checked out long enough for it to be an example of what an overdue notice looks like in our online catalog account; that came in handy for my lesson with our older scholars on logging and checking on personal accounts!  I am enjoying Quijana's voice in the story, and I think her struggle with self-identity in a family that straddles different cultures is one that will resonate with our readers.  I'm planning on finishing this up by the end of the week.

I'm also a hundred pages into Bluebird, Bluebird by Attica Locke, an adult novel about a  Black Texas Ranger navigating murder investigations, a rough spot in his marriage, and racism in East Texas.  This is definitely a windows book for me--I am white, female, not a native Texan, and afraid of guns.

Yesterday was the start of the American Library Association's celebration of Banned Books Week.  Take a peek at their website; you might be surprised to find some of your favorite books on the challenged list.

It's Monday, and I'm going to try and focus on these two books to move them to my "finished reading" pile.  Do you have a reading goal this week?  What does it look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment