Monday, September 20, 2021

It's Monday! What are you reading?

Thoughts on wide reading and making connections:

I've been reading five different books these past few weeks, and I finally finished Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia.  
(This isn't a children's book, but could be read by sixth graders on up.)

The reviews on Amazon call this book a fairy tale, but I disagree.  As I read the last few chapters, I was reminded of Joseph Campbell's PBS series, "The Power of Myth", originally aired in 1988.  Gods of Jade and Shadow is more of a myth-built-upon-myth, a hero's quest like Campbell described in his series. 
 

The protagonist, Casiopea, embarks on a journey that will test her resolve and the strength of her dreams.  She must conquer trials, even traverse the underworld, in her efforts to save the world and ultimately, herself--exactly what Campbell talks about in the clip.  As she faces her most difficult task, she reminds herself of everything she's gone through up to that point, and her courage carries her through.

This past week I also started the chapter on fear in Jay Shetty's Think Like a Monk.  Shetty opens with a time-and-scientifically-tested truth:  facing hardships and surviving difficult circumstances makes us better prepared to survive future hardships.  I think the key is to mimic Casiopea, to pause in the midst of trouble, look back, and acknowledge the strength we've shown thus far.

This is why we need to encourage our students to read, and read widely.  There are truths to be found in fiction, connections to be made to self and to other text.  While Shetty's nonfiction book educates and enlightens my thinking, books like Moreno-Garcia's take me on that journey, inspiring me vicariously.  It's the difference between reading about an amazing rollercoaster, and riding one. 

It's Monday, and I'm making connections between texts and television learning.  What fiction-nonfiction connections have you made?

1 comment:

  1. Chris, I so enjoyed this post and your reflections, particularly "acknowledging the strength we've shown thus far" as fuel for persevering through trials. What strikes me in your book summary and Campbell's clip is the inherent idea of vanquishing the dragon (fear) that locks us in: "The influence of a vital person vitalizes." Heroes generally do not think of themselves as such; they do not always feel brave in battle but they ACT bravely; there's the necessary vitality. "Adventure" implies hazard, danger, risk. Even exhaustion, sometimes. There is a shadow of self-sacrifice in the soul's high adventure - in the attempt to vanquish one's dragons - and therein, paradoxically, lies the saving (how can I not mention Harry Potter?). To that end...I am reading, off and on, The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate - Discoveries from a Secret World by Peter Wohlleben. Trees are collectively able to sustain one another, to keep each other alive, in astounding ways... thank you for this post and I still need to read Think Like a Monk.

    ReplyDelete