Monday, March 8, 2021

It's Monday! What are you writing, oops, reading?


Dillo Readers, I am stuck in a reading loop, still working on the same books as last week.  That is part of the problem, tackling four books at the same time; it takes four times as long to finish any!  The children's book I'm reading is the third in The Wrinkle in Time quintet, by Madeleine L'Engle.  If you like science fiction mixed with fantasy, it may be a good series for you to try!

What is taking up most of my reading these days is BLOG POSTS!  Yes, you read that right.  I am participating in twowritingteachers.org 's  Slice of Life Story Challenge for the ninth year in a row.  That means I am writing every day, and also reading and commenting every day on other teachers' blogs.  Since I am on the Welcome Wagon, there are four new Slicers I'm assigned to support by reading and commenting on their blogs every day.   It is fun reading other teachers' posts, and I'm learning a lot about the craft of writing by their examples.

Do you write as well as read?  These activities help each other, you know; the more you read, the better you'll write, and vice versa!  Here are some reading-writing suggestions:

  • Choose a character from a book you're reading, and write about their favorite meal, even if it isn't discussed in the book.  Explain the reason you picked those foods!
  • Keep a list of new words you learn in books so that you can use them in your own writing.  I recently discovered that Merriam-Webster's online dictionary allows you to create an account to do just that.  The newest word I've learned from L'Engle's book is umbrageous, which means to give shade, as a tree does.  Yes, I had to look it up!
  • Write some fanfiction for one of your favorite books--a sequel, or side-by-side story using the same characters.  Be sure to give credit to the original story and author at the beginning of your writing.
  • Keep a reading notebook.  You can rate the books on a star system, write about what you liked or didn't like; you could even make it an emotions journal to remember how the book made you feel.  Was there a character that you really connected with?  Why?
It's Monday, and I'm doing a lot more online reading these days!  What do you read, besides books?  What do you learn from reading online?

No comments:

Post a Comment