Monday, February 22, 2021

It's Monday! What are you reading?

We had an interesting week last week, didn't we?  Snow and ice, power and water outages, grocery stores running short of food...it's no wonder that when the sun came out, a lot of neighbors headed outdoors--including me, to the front porch to read.

I finished A Wrinkle in Time, and am delving into the next book in the quintet, A Wind in the Door.  The story is much deeper reading from an adult perspective--one more reason for grownups to revisit the books of their childhood from time to time.  L'Engle's series is a mix of science fiction, fantasy, and religion, woven with the classic theme of good versus evil.  I couldn't help but think of Mrs. Frizzell and her "Magic School Bus" as the characters were taken into the mitochondria of the youngest Murry sibling, Charles Wallace.  I wonder if Joanna Cole was influenced by this series?

For professional reading, I'm currently turning to We Got This:  Equity, Access, and the Quest to Be Who Our Students Need Us to Be  by Cornelius Minor. I'm having to digest Minor's message a few pages at a time; he gives me a lot to chew on.  The first lesson he provides is on listening to our students, something I need to work on as I get accustomed to my "new" campus.

It's Monday, and I'm reading a childhood favorite and a thought-provoking professional book.  What did you read while we were snowed in last week? 

No comments:

Post a Comment