Monday, October 19, 2020

It's Monday! What are you reading?

I finally picked up Keeper of the Lost Cities, first in a series by Shannon Messenger.  My former students loved these books, and I purchased them for my new library.

I am seventy pages in and loving this book, too!  I was expecting it to be science fiction...but it's fantasy, with elves and goblins and trolls, oh, my!  I immediately thought of Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer the first time Sophie, the main character, gets whisked off to the fairy world...but I think that's where the similarity will end.  

Sophie has felt different than others, including her own family.  Those feelings were amplified when she was in an accident at the age of five--and started hearing others' thoughts.  The story opens when she's twelve, already a senior in high school due to her advanced academic skills and photographic memory.  No one else knows about her telepathic abilities, though, until a strange boy named Fitz shows up.  He seems to have the answers to her questions about her abilities, but he's unwilling to answer all of them.  Sophie must first travel to the fairy world with him, where she will be shown amazing lands and creatures and subjected to tests to prove that she is also one of them.

Back in the "real world", strange fires are choking the air with even stranger smoke...and Sophie has a home with parents and a sister, the only home she's known for twelve years.  Where does she truly belong?

Fantasy is one of my favorite genres; I'm really enjoying Keeper of the Lost Cities!  What is your favorite genre to read?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment