Monday, October 12, 2020

It's Monday! What are you reading?

I've been doing a lot of reading for work this week, Dillos.  

A lot of emails.

A lot of newsletters.

A lot of articles and instructions, while I was learning how to use Pear Deck.

At school, I read aloud three different picture books:  Round is a Tortilla, Cake, and Skulls!.

At home, I read Facebook posts, news reports, and more emails.  

Last night, I realized that I hadn't opened a book just for me for several days, so I reached for Billy Collins' Whale Day: And Other Poems.  Mr. Collins was the U.S. Poet Laureate from 2001 to 2003.  I purchased several of his poetry books on the recommendation of a fellow teacher-writer who quoted his work in a blog post.  
Billy Collins is an observer of the everyday world, making connections between what he sees and hears and what he thinks, writing them down in freeform verse.  The cadence of his lines are soothing to me at the end of a long day of reading work-related text.

It's Monday, and I'm reading poetry as self-care.  What are you reading today that makes you feel calm inside?

No comments:

Post a Comment