Monday, May 18, 2020

It's Monday! What are you reading?

I am doing my best to get a headstart on the 20-21 Bluebonnet Award Nominees this year!  I started reading Nightbooks by J.A. White.  Folks, it is scary!

Alex was just going to the basement to burn his handwritten stories...until the elevator got stuck on the 4th floor.  And he just had to step into the apartment where his favorite movie was playing, his favorite pie was sitting right there on the table...until the door closed behind him.  The movie, the pie, AND the door all disappear, and Alex now finds himself trapped by a witch.  But he's not the only kid there...And I'll be reading more to find out if the children make it out alive!

I wanted to squeeze in a picture book, too, so I read If I Built a School by Chris Van Dusen, another Bluebonnet Nominee:


Fans of Kate DiCamillo's Mercy Watson series may recognize the artwork by Van Dusen, who is both author and artist.  I loved the retro-yet-futuristic illustrations and ideas for an up-to-date school--especially the classrooms' glass ceilings that open to let in fresh air, and the really cool gym with a swim moat and trampoline basketball court.  I might have liked PE more if those had been in my schools!

It's Monday, and I'm reading Bluebonnet Award Nominee books!  What's in your reading pile today, this last Monday before summer break?

No comments:

Post a Comment