Monday, January 14, 2019

It's Monday! What are you reading?

Our school library has a large collection--over 20,000 items!  This is my sixth year as librarian at Sommer Elementary, and I'm constantly discovering new-to-me books on the shelves.  I searched for this week's book because I get to see the author and illustrator up close at our state library conference in April, and was happy to see the series in our fiction section.
The Mercy Watson series by Kate DiCamillo is a large print, illustrated chapter book collection for early readers.  The repetitive text helps beginners feel successful as they giggle with the idea that a pig can sleep in a bed in a house and have buttered toast for breakfast.  Chris Van Dusen's illustrations are exaggerated, bright and cheerful.  The story is meant to be silly, as Mercy the pig is given much more credit than is due to her...but as long as there's a happy ending, does anyone really mind?

I now have another series to recommend to my readers who are ready to bridge the gap between picture books and chapter books.  It's Monday; what series do you remember enjoying as a beginning reader?

No comments:

Post a Comment