Monday, January 7, 2019

It's Monday! What are you reading?

Welcome back from Winter Break, students and teachers!  Hope your time away from school was filled with reading for FUN!  Mine was!  Here are the two books I finished over the break--neither of them for our little ones, but definitely suitable for young adults on up.

Mystery in White: A Christmas Crime Story by J. Jefferson Farjeon was one of Santa's Christmas books to the family this year, so of course I had to read it!  Published in 1938, it has an Agatha Christie vibe to the writing.  The period parlance  of the characters took awhile to get used to, but once I did it seemed delightful, despite the murders and mystery.  And I love a whodunit with a tidy ending!

Speaking of tidy endings...my next fun read did NOT have one!  Luckily, the sequel comes out on my birthday this year.
At over 500 pages, I thought Tomi Adeyemi's Children of Blood and Bone would be a one-and-done novel, but I was wrong.  After traveling through the fantasy country of Orisha with diviner Zélie, her kosidan brother Tzain, and a rogue princess in hopes of bringing magic back to the diviners, I was left with more questions than answers.  This book has everything for fantasy lovers--make-believe places drawn from African lore, exotic African language, origin stories steeped in magic, adventure, plot twists and turns (and a fair amount of bloodshed), and a touch of romance.  It had me looking at my white curly hair afterward hoping for a spark of magic to fly from my fingertips.  Embedded in the fantasy is a serious message about power and prejudice, which Adeyemi discusses in the author's notes.

It's Monday!  What did you read over Winter Break? 

No comments:

Post a Comment