Monday, March 26, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading?

For the past thirty-six hours I've been fighting an infection, and didn't feel like reading...until I got to the doctor's office and saw all the magazines in the waiting room.  I got caught up on old and new celebrity gossip, and started reading a medical magazine just before I got called into the exam room:
WebMD Mag March/April 2018
The office had multiple copies in a pile, so I grabbed one on the way out to read at home.  The story behind Jeannie Gaffigan's brain tumor was informative, as were the articles on exercise and healthy eating.

We forget sometimes that ALL reading is "good" reading--including magazine articles.  Magazines entertain and inform us in easily digestible chunks, and can be put down and picked up hours or days later to continue reading without the loss of recall that can happen when doing the same with chapter books.  For several years now, my teachers of gifted and talented students have especially promoted magazines as learning tools when their classes visit my library.  My son loves his subscription to Muse; my husband, who shies away from novels, reads Cycle World and Maximum PC on a regular basis.

Magazines--they're what I'm reading this Monday.  What are your favorite subscriptions?

2 comments: