Monday, March 19, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading?

Welcome back from Spring Break!  Did you read any good books over the last nine days?

I finished my grown-up read, The Power by Naomi Alderman.  It was part science fiction, part dystopian, and very much a commentary on gender roles and dominance in our culture.  The phrase "absolute power corrupts absolutely" comes to mind whenever I think about this book.  Not for the squeamish, and certainly gives adults lots to ponder.

Then I switched to kidlit to lighten things up!
First chapter into Kate Milford's Ghosts of Greenglass House, and I was wishing I had read the first book to this sequel. A few more chapters in, and I felt comfortable in Milo's world of role-playing games, ghosts, and his coming-of-age as an adopted son.  If you can picture Nancy Drew dropped into a game of Clue, with a side of Casper the Friendly Ghost, then you can get a feel for this whacky mystery.  There are lots of clues, lots of suspects, honorable and not-so-honorable thieves, with Milo and his adoptive parents hosting all the mayhem in their inn.  I will have to get the first book for our school library as well!

I must be on a ghost kick; my last kidlit book, Out of the Wild Night by Blue Bailliet, was about ghosts on Nantucket Island; my next children's book will be our Bluebonnet Nominee Spirit Hunters by Ellen Oh.

It's Monday!  What did you read over Spring Break?  What's next on your reading list?

No comments:

Post a Comment