Monday, February 19, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading?

It happened this weekend.  I was getting near the end of a book, and skimmed ahead.  I'm not sure why I do this, especially with books I've enjoyed; maybe it's kind of like ripping the paper off of a Christmas present that you've been looking at for weeks under the tree.

Usually the tidbits I pick up from skimming make me happy, ready to go back and read to the finish at a quick trot, my predictions of a neatly-tied-up-ending becoming more and more apparent with each page.

But this book was different.  I was down to the last two chapters, and the details didn't jive with the previous 269 pages.  It made me rethink the entire book, and slowed my pace to a turtle's crawl.  This was not the ending I was expecting.  It's not the ending I want.  Twelve pages to go, and I am not sure I want to finish this story, this way.

I won't give the book title away, because I know there are readers who love this sort of plot twist.  It doesn't make me love the story any less, at this moment before closure...but I may pick up this book again, and reread it, keeping the end in mind.  I wonder if I will like it less the second time around, knowing what I now know, looking through a different lens.  

It's Monday!  Have you read any books that had a surprise ending you didn't like?

No comments:

Post a Comment