Monday, October 2, 2017

It's Monday! What are you reading?

This is my fifth year as a librarian and at Sommer.  I inherited a library of 20,000 materials to manage, so it is no wonder that I keep discovering new books as I read shelves and oversee circulation.  One of the books that I've noticed, but never checked out before, is Richard Peck's Here Lies the Librarian.
After recently reading Peck's The Best Man from our Bluebonnet Award Nominee list, I was in the mood for more of his writing, so I checked it out for the weekend.  

Here Lies the Librarian didn't disappoint--though it was more about cars and small town living in the early 1900s than it was about the deceased librarian in the title.  PeeWee and her brother eke out a living fixing the first cars on the road, competing with the underhanded Kirby brothers for business.  A quartet of library science students show up one day, determined to revive the town library that's been closed since the librarian's demise.  Peck's cast of quirky characters in this period piece manage to educate us on the  living conditions of Midwestern towns before paved roads crossed the country, the empowerment of women that access to education and transportation enables, and a bit about the birth of the automobile age.  

I'm glad I took the time to read for fun this weekend!  What did you read?

No comments:

Post a Comment