Monday, August 29, 2016

It's Monday! What are you reading?



The students returned last week!  Some were smiling, some were sleepy.  I did hear reports that many were waiting to get into the library and check out some books, and they will get to do just that starting tomorrow!

I am working on finishing two books this week:

Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer by Kelly Jones, illustrated by Katie Kath is on our Bluebonnet Nominee list.  


Sophie is a twelve-year-old transplant to the country, after inheriting a farm from her great uncle.  The first animal she encounters on the farm isn't your typical chicken!

This book is written mainly in letters from Sophie to her deceased grandmother and great-uncle, and to a poultry company--the latter's responses are unusual and mysterious, and I'm hoping I find out who's typing them by the end of the book.

I'm also still working on Ralph Fletcher's Breathing In, Breathing Out:  Keeping a Writer's Notebook.  It's not long at all--only 112 pages--but it's full of detail, information, and examples, so I'm finding myself reading just a chapter or two before setting it down and letting it sink in.  I'm inspired to start a writer's notebook of my own; at the very least, it will make me more observant and mindful of my surroundings.


It's Monday!  What's on your reading agenda for the week?

8 comments:

  1. Breathing in, Breathing out sounds like my kind of book. On my way to check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really insightful! Thinking I may need my own personal copy.

      Delete
  2. I adore Sopie.ni wanted to run right out and start raising chickens after reading that one! I think I'm going to have to read Breathing In, Breathing Out. I need some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun book! They are all checked out from my library; can't wait to see what the kids think of it. And yes, highly recommend Fletcher's book!

      Delete
  3. I'm a life-long city slicker, so reading about poultry raising was a delight, especially with such a plucky heroine! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is getting good reviews all around! Bluebonnet Committee made a great choice!

      Delete
  4. I've used the Fletcher book for a long time, and now will continue for myself-it is terrific, as are all his books. I still haven't read this 'chicken' book, but it is on my list. Thanks for your review too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Linda! I'm late to the "Fletcher party"; with my previous years of special education and running sped meetings, I never came across his work. Glad I am now!

      Delete