Thursday, April 20, 2023

It's Thursday! Ms Margocs is still at TLA '23!

 Day two of our Texas Library Association Annual Conference was full of learning...and books, of course!

We started with announcements and awards, and then heard from keynote speaker Gretchen Rubin.  She told us some fascinating information about our senses, and how our sensory perceptions are uniquely ours.  She even gave us some interesting tips to add sensory input to our lessons with tastes, scents, music, and texture.  And you know I had to buy her latest book after the speech!

On my way to the next meeting room, I spied a familiar book friend:

The session I attended was "Book Harmony:  Bringing All Voices Together to Create a More Responsive Library."  The presenter told us that the library environment starts with the librarian--it is essential that we welcome everyone in the library space.  She described readers as occasional, avid, struggling, or reluctant, and showed us how she designed her program and her space to better accommodate all four types.  I am motivated to do some major weeding of musty dusty books and clear spaces for some more inviting displays!

Then it was time for lunch with Candlewick publishing!  We ate some tacos, and then listened to some great authors speak about their latest books--and we all got signed copies!
After walking off some of my lunch in the exhibit hall and bumping into colleagues in the foyer, I made my way to "Empowering  Bilingual Learners".  We got some great ideas for family projects and resources to find authentically translated books for our Spanish speakers.

My brain was feeling a bit full and my phone's battery was low, and so back to the exhibit hall I went for a recharge...and ended up in line for a free signed copy of Srta. Quinces!

I wrapped up the day with one last session on "Celebrating Culture and Family Traditions."  The diverse panel of authors talked about their latest books and the importance of curating a collection in which children can see themselves and their families. Librarians were praised for being on the front line of getting great books into kids' hands, creating curious readers who value and enjoy lifelong learning.

I was able to catch the 5:42p train to get home by 6:45p tonight!  Now it's off to bed; there's another full day of learning sessions, the Bluebonnet Award luncheon, and maybe another trip or two around the exhibit hall.

Can't wait to share the book haul with you, Dillo Readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment