Monday, March 21, 2022

It's Monday! What are you reading?

Oh, Dillos, how the reading bug bit me this Spring Break!  I read THREE books--one favorite, and two new-to-me!  I even worked a bit on a fourth book.

The first book I finished is an oldish favorite of mine:
Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein is a FUN book!  It's like a cross between Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and "Night at the Museum".  There are so many literary and library references in the book that it's hard to keep up with all of them.

I was ashamed to admit that I hadn't read the rest of the series...so I brought the second installment home, too and finished it!
It was just as much fun as the first book, with even more literature referenced!  I especially liked the theme of anti-censorship--very timely these days.   There are a lot of twists and turns that I didn't see coming, and I love the way Grabenstein wraps things up at the end while still leaving room for the next book.

Keeping with the library theme, I finally read a grown-up novel that's been sitting in one of my many piles:
The Library of Lost and Found by Phaedra Patrick is part mystery, part complicated family story, part midlife-crisis-and-rebirth--all in all, a very satisfying story, as a crone also rediscovering myself these days.  Of course, I was drawn in by the library and bookstore settings, but the characters had me hooked.  The ending doesn't answer all the questions, but that's okay.  Life doesn't always give you all the answers.

For the last couple days, I picked up Stella by Starlight again and continued reading. My goal is to finish it by the end of the week so it can go back on our library shelves.

It's Monday, and I felt like I blasted through a reading slump this week!  What books did you enjoy over break? 

No comments:

Post a Comment