Monday, November 18, 2019

It's Monday! What are you reading?

Today's blog post is brought to you by the letter "S"...for "Sesame Street".
I was three when "Sesame Street" first aired.  I missed a lot of episodes over the next couple of years; we didn't have access to American television in Bangkok, where my dad was stationed.  I caught up with Big Bird, Cookie Monster, and Kermit when we moved back to the states. When I became head of my Rainbow Girl chapter, my mascot was Mr. Snuffleupagus.

I made sure my own children had regular exposure to PBS' children's programming, and "Sesame Street" was a favorite in our house.  That hour could be enjoyed by all of us, thanks to the cultural relevance and 'punny' takes on popular music and movies.  (Yes, it was on for an hour back in the day!)

And there were books, of course, including a family favorite:
This one is still on our shelf, too:
I know my children's ability to read, their love of books and music, was positively impacted by watching "Sesame Street".  Happy 50th anniversary to our favorite PBS children's show; Big Bird, you don't look a day over five!  

It's Monday!  What children's programming inspired a love of reading for you and your children?


No comments:

Post a Comment