Monday, November 11, 2019

It's Monday! What are you reading?

I'm not going to lie--I struggle when I read stories written in vernacular dialogue that's different than my own.  I haven't lived and worked in areas where code-switching is expected, so it doesn't come naturally to me.  Or maybe it's the grammatical differences that I have to overcome as a teacher who peddles essay-style writing.  

Either way, it took me a few chapters to get into the groove of this story written with an inner-city dialect.  But I stuck with it, and I'm glad I did.
The Stars Beneath Our Feet by David Barclay Moore is the story of Lolly, our narrator, who lives in the Harlem projects of New York City.  He hasn't been the same since the death of his older brother.  We are privy to Lolly's thoughts, not just about Jermaine's death, but also how to navigate the city, constantly aware of whose territory you're crossing, what looks you're giving, alert for dangers lurking around the corner.  The lure of the gangs is gaining strength as Lolly enters the teen years and thinks about avenging his brother's death.

Moore paints a vivid picture of Lolly's world:  his absentee father who pops in to give gifts; Lolly's mom and her girlfriend; his friends from school and the community center; and the projects and streets themselves, harsh and vibrant all at once.  There is hope, too, and I found myself rooting for Lolly to make the right decisions and not follow in Jermaine's footsteps.  

I may not completely understand what it is like to be afraid to walk to school, or to lose a loved one due to gang violence.  But I can empathize with the complicated journey of grieving, the importance of friendship...and the fun of Legos.  Yes, Legos play a big part of this story!

That's the point of windows and mirrors in literature: we can gain insight into others' lives.  The Stars Beneath Our Feet is a reminder of what many children in our country, state, and even our local city have to overcome to claim a piece of what is considered to be the American dream.  

It's Monday!  I recommend The Stars Beneath Our Feet for upper middle grade and older readers.  What books have given you insight into others' lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment