Monday, April 23, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading?

I enjoy reading several books at once...but it does take longer to actually finish a book that way.  So this weekend, I picked up my copy of a picture book biography I obtained at TLA:
It's no accident that the tone of this book is familiar and loving; Keith Haring: The Boy Who Just Kept Drawing is written by one of Haring's baby sisters, Kay.  Family memories are interwoven with the development of Keith's drawing style.  Several of his works are featured in the illustrations and highlighted at the end.  I love that they include pictures drawn by their father, who encouraged his children's creative efforts.

I was privileged to meet the illustrator and author at the "Speed Dating the Bluebonnets" event at TLA!



Keith Haring must have been a special person, indeed; the illustrator, Robert Neubecker, spoke highly of Haring's talent and generosity.  Neubecker had the opportunity to meet Haring while working at The New York Times, and is lucky enough to have one of Haring's drawings framed on his own wall.  

I was vaguely familiar with Haring's work before this book; now I feel as if I know the artist's heart.  I am excited about sharing this vibrantly illustrated biography of a kind, generous artist in my Bluebonnet Reading Program lessons next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment