Monday, April 2, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading?

Welcome back from our long spring holiday weekend!  What did you read with those extra hours off from work and school?

On Friday, I started and finished my first Bluebonnet nominee for the 18-19 school year:
This ghost story had me on the edge of my seat almost from the beginning.  This is not a "cutesy" ghost story; there is evil afoot in the Raine's new house, and it must be stopped.  

Harper has always seen things that most others can't--or won't--believe.  After a traumatic incident which she can't remember, the family relocates to Washington, DC.  Harper senses something wrong immediately, though she can't quite explain it--until her brother starts acting bizarrely, weird dreams begin to affect her sleep, and Harper ends up injured in two freak accidents.  With the support of a new friend, as well as some cemetery ghosts and ancient cultural wisdom from an unexpected source, Harper may be able to help her brother--and herself.

There are some scenes in this book that will make adults think of the movie "The Exorcist", as well as other supernatural horror films.  If your child is skittish after reading a scary book, this story may need to wait awhile on the shelf.  I was glad I read it in the daylight!

It's Monday, and I think I'm ready to move on from ghost books for awhile!  What are you reading this spring?

No comments:

Post a Comment