Monday, April 24, 2017

It's Monday! What are you reading?

I spent four days last week surrounded by books.  And thousands of people, too, but we were all there to discuss literacy, information, and the future of libraries--which still includes books, for those who aren't enamored with digitized collections.

The usefulness of printed-and-bound books was highlighted in a breakfast I attended for Teacher Day at TLA.  We had the pleasure of listening to Mac Barnett read one of his latest collaborations with Jon Klassen, an offbeat, fun little book called Triangle.

Halfway through his presentation, the slideshow stopped working.  Without skipping a beat, Barnett picked up the book and continued reading the story.  I captioned a tweet of the event "When tech fails, books win."

I now own a copy of Triangle.  Its simple text belies the complexity of behavior.  Why does Triangle want to play a trick on Square?  And did Square really plan on blocking Triangle's door?  A quick read can turn into a lengthy discussion of characters' motives.

I received a copy of The Girl Who Drank the Moon, 2017 Newbery Medal winner and one of the 17-18 Bluebonnet Award nominees, at the "Speed Dating the Bluebonnets" session at the TLA conference.  I had the pleasure of meeting the author, Kelly Barnhill!

Breaking with my usual habit of reading the Bluebonnet nominees over the summer, I dove right into this book yesterday...and can't wait to get home to keep reading it tonight. Lovable characters, despicable characters, magic, and a hint of wonderful things to come are already present in the first fifty pages.

It's Monday; what new books have you picked up lately?

1 comment:

  1. I'm class, we are reading The Talking Eggs. I read comments on Facebook, hehe. But I read some comments from literacy site that's geared to being a better teacher in reading.

    ReplyDelete