Monday, April 3, 2017

It's Monday! What are you reading?

I love being surprised by the ending of a book, especially a picture book!  Tea With Grandpa by Barney Saltzberg delivers such an ending.
The rhyming text is simple, one line per page to accompany the pictures, which alternate between images of granddaughter and grandfather.  There is a hint of the ending when grandpa asks for a muffin, and his granddaughter says "Too far away".  The story is a cute commentary on modern communication.  I would also use it as a very quick-to-read mentor text on writing stories with a surprise ending, without giving too much away beforehand.

Another book in my review pile was 100 Hungry Monkeys by Masayuki Sebe.
Translated from Japanese, it is a seek-and-find book that encourages counting to 100 on each two-page spread.  I love these types of books for visual literacy (and long car rides), as each time you look at the pictures, you notice something new.  The author-illustrator just happens to live in the same prefecture in Japan as my daughter--that personal connection made me smile!

It's Monday; have you read a great picture book lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment