Monday, March 6, 2017

It's Monday! What are you reading?

We celebrated a month of kindness on our campus in February.  I'm a little behind (I'm going to blame it on our book fair), so I'm just now getting around to reading If You Plant a Seed by Kadir Nelson, from  the Texas 2x2 list.
Nelson's beautifully illustrated book follows a bunning and a mouse as they plant three seeds and wait for them to grow.  Unfortunately, some birds show up just as mouse and bunny are beginning to enjoy their produce.  When they make a decision to plant a seed of selfishness instead of sharing, trouble ensues.  A little seed of kindness saves the day, and results in an abundance of food for everyone.

There are pages with no text in this book, so I prepped the kindergarten students beforehand, making sure we had our "reading pictures eyes and thinking brains" ready to go.  It's interesting at the end to ask why they thought Kadir Nelson wrote this book.  Some students are still in a concrete thinking stage, and propose that Nelson likes plants and gardening.  Others are quick to get the message that planting seeds of kindness makes the world a better place for everyone--kindness is important.

My personal reading has jumped over to a new-to-me series co-written by an actress who's a favorite of mine:  Gillian Anderson, from "The X-Files." I'm reading the first of her sci-fi trilogy, The EarthEnd Saga.
I've been way overdue for some just-for-me reading, and this fills my need for my favorite genre.  I've got book two waiting off to the side!

It's Monday!  What are you reading to your children/ students, and what are you reading just for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment