Monday, October 12, 2015

It's Monday! What are you reading?


I See KittyAlmost every child I know has asked for a pet of their own, and I See Kitty by Yasmine Surovec addresses that overwhelming desire in simple text and detailed pictures.  Young children will delight in finding the kitty images throughout Chloe's day, and will most likely guess the surprise hiding outside her bedroom door.
I have been reading Gaston by Kelly DiPucchio (illustrated by Christian Robinson) to my kindergarteners in the library.  It is a sweet story of pups switched at birth; for those of you who grew up with Sesame Street, think of the "one of these things is not like the other" song.  I've been questioning students on the feelings shown by the mother dogs in the book, as well as delving deeper into the meaning of family.  I would pair this with Jamie Lee Curtis' Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born as springboards to discuss adoption.
Next week, I begin meeting with the fifth grade Book Lunch Bunch in our library!  There will be even more books to write about then, as we discuss personal and shared reading.

What are you reading this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment