Monday, September 28, 2015

It's Monday! What are you reading?




We've been reading Foxy! by Jessica Souhami this past week.  It's on our district's Armadillo reading list, books we share with our younger students.

Foxy! is a great trickster tale that has appealed to all my kindergarten, first, and second graders.  The images are simple and bright against a white background, and the prose has lots of repetition to get the students involved in reading along with me.  It's great to see their eyes light up and hear the gasps when they realize what the woman is doing by putting her dog in Foxy's sack towards the end of the book!  To focus on sequencing, we retell the story by looking at the pictures after we are done reading the words. 

It's been interesting to note the different personalities of whole classes while I read this book.  Some are quick to jump in and say the repeated phrases with me; others hesitate, and I have to let them know that it is okay to interact with the story while I'm reading.  I don't require them to participate, but I admit it's more fun to read aloud when they do!

What is your favorite repetitive read-aloud book? 

2 comments:

  1. "Life after life", "Wool", and "Hollow City"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to look those up; thanks for the recommendations!

      Delete