Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Tuesday Slice: INTP learner

Many, many years ago, in my first incarnation as a teacher, I attended a workshop on learning styles at our region educational center.  I don't remember every workshop I've attended--teachers will attest to the number of meetings that end up being deep-sixed in our brains and trashcans--but this one seems to come to mind often.  The speaker began by asking how many of us made it to the workshop that morning (of course, we all raised a hand, looking confused at the question).  She then went on to tell us that we were already more successful than x percent of the people who set out that morning for work, but didn't make it on time or at all due to traffic, accidents, flat tires, or health-related issues.  We had already experienced success just by being in that room at that time.

We then went on to take a Myers-Briggs assessment to learn about our own personality profile, and used that information to discuss how it affects our individual learning and teaching.  We tend to teach the way we learn--which is great for students who possess similar Myers-Briggs traits, but not necessarily so for those who don't.  The point of the workshop was to make us aware of our teaching styles, and learn how to stretch ourselves to reach those students who learn differently--metacognition for teachers.

Why is this coming to mind so early on a summer morning?  Because I'm getting ready to attend three days of iPadpalooza to learn how to use my newest tech tool, courtesy of the Next Gen Digital Classroom program in our school district.  I am a latecomer to the iPad party, having just gotten a personal tablet of my own as a Christmas gift--and an Android one, at that.  With the exception of my children's iPhones and my college-daughter's Mac that she uses for her media studies, we are a PC/Android family, and so Apple products are outside the realm of my learning experience.

I've spent the last two weeks learning how to navigate the iPad on my own, with some success--I did make my first iMovie (a book trailer, of course).  I finally figured out how to open up a new window in Safari (oh! that's what the plus sign is for!).  I downloaded the app for the conference so that I can access my workshop agenda without toting around a pile of papers.  

I'm just hoping for success in navigating the traffic for the next three days to get to the conference on time, and for teachers who acknowledge my lack of knowledge when it comes to this new-to-me technology.  I want to walk away with my brain buzzing with ideas for iPad use in the library (we will have 32 of them, next year).  

I want to remember this feeling when it comes to teaching my students, so that I remember to stretch myself as a teacher to meet their learning styles.

8 comments:

  1. Being a learner again is always a good reminder for us, isn't it? You will love all that you can do with an iPad (and there are lots of ways to make book trailers too). Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Went to a session just for book trailers, and oh, my, apps upon apps! The iMovie was fun, can't wait to get the kids creating with the others, too.

      Delete
  2. Can see why you remembered this long-ago lesson. Using that and your blog day one this Fall. I am reminded of helping Dewayne Habitat building in our own habitat this week. He got so tickled at my ineptness, he nearly fell off the ladder. I thought 1) our carpenter friend Tim would be doubled-over with laughter and 2)I am so using this as a lesson for my students!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoorah for you, finding teachable moments in your own learning curve! And yes, Tim would be laughing, for sure. Hugs!

      Delete
  3. Challenging ourselves to learn new things in new ways is what allows us to connect to our kids, because we ask this of them every day, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome! I love making movies on the ipad with imove----I make all my library videos with it! and YAY! for new learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was some great learning going on yesterday, Sonja; nine more breakout sessions over the next two days, and I think I'll have a full toolbox for next year's classes!

      Delete