Monday, April 5, 2021

It's Monday! What are you reading?

I am late to the party, but I finally got around to reading Stargazing, a graphic novel by  Jen Wang, newly added to our elementary library collection.
I read it quickly while waiting for patrons at our curbside library service last Thursday...but I feel like I need to read it again.  Stargazing touches on so many topics relevant to children of all ages:  the need to fit in while also standing out; controlling strong emotions (or not); the impact of culture on our upbringing; families struggling financially; major health issues; the importance of community in helping those who struggle.  Wang weaves this all in while adding details such as painting toenails and following popular musicians on social media, practicing for talent shows, and everyday family interactions.  I don't think this book will be on the shelf much once I advertise it to my students!

It's Monday, and I can't wait to share Stargazing with my readers.  What books are you excited about this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment