Monday, August 12, 2019

It's Monday! What are you reading?

I just got this book on my doorstep, and it makes me so happy!
How to Read a Book by Kwame Alexander, illustrated by Melissa Sweet, is a one-two punch--if the punch is made of sherbet and limeade and fizzy soda.  Alexander's free verse poetry made me nostalgic for my childhood reading life, when it was so easy to slip inside a story and get lost in the words, cadence, setting.  I almost missed some of the verses, cleverly embedded in Sweet's mixed-media, handmade illustrations.  Her color choices are brightly optimistic and reflect the twisty, turny ride that books can give us, full of interesting details if only we take the time to hunt for them and relish the search.  This copy is mine to keep, but I'm getting one for my school library, too.  

It's Monday; have you ever read a book that brought a smile to your face from the very first page?

No comments:

Post a Comment