Monday, May 13, 2019

It's Monday! What are you reading?

Last week, I had the pleasure of reading picture books aloud to all my students.  For my kindergarten through second grades, it was just regular library time.

For my third through fifth graders, it was the first time I had shared a read-aloud with them since winter break.  (We usually have quick library skills/ curricular support lessons.)  It was something they asked for on their end-of-year survey; with two weeks left in our school year, I just had to oblige them.

From the assortment I offered, most classes chose Stuck by Oliver Jeffers.  A couple chose The Princess and the Pony by Kate Beaton.  A few more chose The Three Ninja Pigs by Corey Rosen Schwarz.

I book-talked a bit about each before they chose.  Stuck makes the reader feel so much smarter than the main character; I get to read the word "fart" in The Princess and the Pony; the author of The Three Ninja Pigs commented on my blog post about the book, sent bookmarks,  and wrote to my students.

From the reactions of each class, you would have thought I was offering them dessert before dinner.  They good-naturedly argued over which book I should read.  They made sure I turned so they could see the pictures.  They predicted, and laughed, and moaned over character foibles and jokes in ways the younger students didn't, because they finally recognized the patterns, noticed the details, got the humor on their own.

Big kids need picture books, too.  It's Monday; what picture books have you read lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment