Monday, February 11, 2019

It's Monday! What are you reading?

I am slowly trying to learn how to speak Spanish.  I'm getting into the habit of practicing with the Duolingo app each day.  And after taking two online courses, the instructor suggested subscribing to a magazine written in Spanish--so I now get People español.
PEOPLE EN ESPAÑOL Magazine
When I open this magazine, I return to being a beginning reader, picking out words and phrases I understand, trying to comprehend the stories, ads, and captions.  Occasionally, I'll read out loud, slowing down around syllables that won't roll off my tongue so easily. I rely heavily on picture clues; thankfully, People has those in abundance.  

As with my previous attempts at learning a new language, I am finding my reading abilities far greater than my retention for independent use.  I still struggle with deciphering the rapid speech of native Spanish speakers; to help with that skill, I occasionally watch telenovelas.

It's Monday--how do you stretch yourself as a reader?

No comments:

Post a Comment