Monday, November 13, 2017

It's Monday! What are you reading?

I am reading Wanted! Ralfy Rabbit, Book Burglar by Emily MacKenzie to second graders:
Chosen by our district's Armadillo Readers' Choice committee, it's a great book to check in on basic rules (no stealing!), library expectations, and the characteristics of a good reader.  Ralfy makes lists of books he's read, books he wants to read, and books he recommends for others--and that's what good readers do!

*********
My husband and I frequent a restaurant on the edge of our neighborhood.  This past week, a gentleman came in with a book, gave an order to the waiter, and sat at the bar reading while waiting.  My curiosity got the best of me; I went over to the man, introduced myself as a librarian, and asked what he was reading.  It was a crime novel by Elmore Leonard; he said he liked reading them because the criminals were not exactly smart, which made the stories funny. We chatted about books, and then I rejoined my husband for dinner.  

A bit later, the gentleman came to our table, asked if I had a pen, went back to his spot at the bar, and then returned with a cocktail-napkin-list of recommendations:

This gentleman certainly knows his favorite genre, and was more than willing to recommend books.  I'm saving this list for my winter break reading!

One of my favorite genres is sci-fi, and I finally finished Gillian Anderson's trilogy, The EarthEnd Saga (after finding it in a tote bag hidden under a pile of clothes in my bedroom! I should clean more often...).
I also finished Caitlin Doughty's Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory.   I will say that this book about death was a lot less depressing than I expected it to be, but I have to let her messages sink in a bit before I tackle her next book. 

It's Monday!  Do you know what you are reading next?  What books are you recommending to friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment