Monday, September 11, 2017

It's Monday! What are you reading?

If you've followed this blog for awhile, you know that I am a huge proponent of picture books.  Words accompanied by static illustrations make a perfect  environment for beginning readers, vocabulary building for older students, and for anyone's eyes tired of constant text in novels and moving images on a screen.  Picture books are like photo albums; they allow the eye to rest on details, to ponder the connections at the reader's own pace, marvel in the artwork and how it enhances the story.

Picture book biographies bring their subjects to life.  Such is the case with Edward Hopper Paints His World, written by Robert Burleigh and illustrated by Wendell Minor.
From a young age, Edward knew he wanted to be an artist--but that doesn't mean that it was an easy road to making a living.  Hopper studied art in New York and Paris, and illustrated magazines to earn money while he was pursuing his passion for painting.  His earlier work did not sell well, but he persevered.  Hopper is now best known for his iconic painting of a city diner, Nighthawks.

The author takes us on a journey of Hopper's personal life and the evolution of his work, and the illustrator evokes the feelings of Hopper's paintings, incorporating four of his most famous works into the story.  The original paintings are shown at the end of the book, as are quotes from Hopper, musings on the artist as a hero and explorer, important dates in Hopper's life, and bibliographic references from both the author and the illustrator.  Edward Hopper Paints His World is a beautiful way to teach biography and nonfiction text features in any classroom, at any level. 

*****************
NOT for kids book: I am trying to do more "just for me" reading this school year, starting with Cheryl Strayed's Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail.  
I remember when the movie based on the book came out, thinking it was "just" a "finding myself" kind of story--intriguing, but not enough to pull me to the theater or bookstore at the time. 

In July, I happened across a Facebook post forwarded by the American Library Association from the Multnomah County Library .  The librarians there would make book recommendations based on your tattoos!  I sent them a picture of my last inking, explaining how it commemorates my 51st birthday--the age at which my mother died from ALS.  Wild was their suggestion for me, and it was spot on.  

Strayed may have taken a much different path (figuratively and literally) in dealing with her mother's passing, but the emotional unmooring she experienced is very familiar to me.  This book is less about surviving a thousand mile walk, and more about how we deal with profound grief and keep on living.

*******************
Last, but not least, I've also started Ralph Fletcher's Joy Write: Cultivating High-Impact, Low-Stakes Writing.  I'll let you know what I learn in a future post!

It's Monday; what are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment